Whew!!!! Man, have I been gone a long time. Sorry. Soon after that last post I finally got a job. I work in a hospital laboratory. It's an hour away from where I live which means I spend two hours a day on the road. Except for the days that I'm on call. Then I get to spend the night in the hospital. Sometimes in a patient room. Where people die sometimes. Have I creeped you out enough? I haven't yet seen any ghosts there yet, tho.
Well, besides working my butt off, I have been trying to get some spinning and knitting done. And sewing. Making scrubs. I have cut out a whole ton of denim squares and one of these days I'll make a denim quilt.
So, spinning. I have set myself the insane goal of trying to spin up 5 pounds of fiber this year. Yeah, I can almost hear the uproarious laughter. The most I've gotten done in a year is less than a pound. But I have tons (well, lots of pounds, anyway) of fiber and it really needs to get spun up. So, I took my 5.4 ounces of wool/mohair blend and spun it onto four bobbins. The problem? The lazy kate that came with my spinning wheel only has three posts. I have either been doing just 2ply yarn, 3ply by chain-plying, or a 4ply by making two 2plies and spinning them together, which is a cabled 4ply. I wanted a standard four ply. Besides, I only have one plying bobbin and I wouldn't be able to fit two regular bobbins-worth onto one regular bobbin. Couldn't really afford another lazy kate. Well, I could, but I'm saving up for other stuff right now. Stitches Midwest, Iowa Sheep and Wool, more accessories for my spinning wheel, etc.
I did some looking at DIY plans and found one that I liked. Unfortunately, I didn't record the site and I can't find it again, but I'm on record as saying that I copied someone else's idea here.
The supplies: a wooden plaque, a round dowel, and some wooden letter V's. Also wood glue, stain, varnish, and brushes. The square dowel was provided by hubby. The round dowel was cut into 8 inch lengths. The square dowel was cut into 6 segments, each as long as the letters. Four holes were drilled into the plaque. All was sanded down smooth.The square dowel segments were then glued on either side of the letters. After drying, the "legs" were then glued to the back of the plaque. Stain and varnish was then applied.
And it works!!! Although I kind of wish I'd gotten the four holes just a little bit further apart. And it may benefit from some wool washers underneath the bobbins. But the materials cost me about $20. I am well pleased with my four post lazy kate!
Rant of the episode: Working so much I have so little time for fun stuff!!!!!